General Submission Guidelines
Submissions are accepted during our reading periods.
Rathalla Review strives to publish the finest fiction, creative non-fiction, poetry, and art. We accept submissions during our reading periods, which are August through October 15 for the fall online issue and January through March 15 for the spring online issue. Rathalla Review has first North American publication rights for one year, after which the rights revert back to the author. Subsequent republication only happens with the permission of the author.
- All submissions should be typed, 12-point font, double-spaced with a minimum 1-inch margin.
- DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR NAME ON THE DOCUMENT.
- Number all pages and include the title in either the header or footer.
- Include your word count on the first page.
- Only work submitted through our online submission form will be considered. Submissions will be accepted as either a .DOC, .DOCX, .RTF, or .PDF attachment.
- Do not use special characters in your filename: ! @ # $ % ^ */
- Please do not zip or compress attachments and please do not embed your submissions in the “Cover Letter” box on the form.
- We do not accept previously published work. This includes work published online.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted. Please let us know immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Please do not re-submit previously submitted material unless expressly asked to do so by the editor. We read our submissions carefully, and just because we don’t accept it doesn’t mean another publisher won’t.
- We will send notice by email regarding the acceptance or rejection of your material within three months of submission. Please do not contact us regarding the status of your work before the end of the three-month period.
- We publish a fall and spring online issue. You will be notified if your work is accepted online. In addition, your work may appear in our annual print issue, which is published in the spring.
For more specifics look below:
We accept short stories or novel excerpts in varying lengths up to 4,000 words. We look for fiction that features sharp writing, carefully crafted plots, and, above all, compelling characters. Novel excerpts should be able to stand alone as a complete work.
Up to three poems may be submitted simultaneously. Please indicate the titles in the title field. Give the titles and line counts for all poems in the appropriate fields of the submission form. Please submit multiple poems in separate documents.
We accept essays or book excerpts in varying lengths up to 3,500 words. We look for nonfiction that features sharp writing and careful craft. Book excerpts should be able to stand alone as a complete work.
We are looking for pieces up to, but not exceeding, 1,000 words. We want sharp pieces that display smart, poignant word choices and establish the most complete idea within the limited space. Please include word count in the document. You may submit up to three (3) flash pieces for consideration. Please send all in separate documents.
We select one Featured Artist for each issue of Rathalla Review whose work is incorporated throughout the magazine, including on our cover.
All submissions are to be submitted through our submission manager. Please attach images as a .JPEG, .PNG or .PDF file. Submissions should be formatted to 8.75 inches by 11.75 inches to account for trim. Please submit 3-4 pieces indicative of your body of work for us to consider. Please include a short bio of 4-5 sentences as well. If you have an online portfolio, please include the link.